Getting a CURP Number for Foreigners with Residency in Mexico. The CURP “Clave Única de Registro de Población” in English, Unique Population Registry Code, is Mexico’s version of Social Security or Social Insurance number. The CURP is a unique identification number which is assigned to each person living in Mexico. You will have this same CURP number for life. At LawInCabo, our law firm can help you obtain your CURP. If you are a foreigner with residency in Mexico, you are still able to obtain a CURP number.


CURP is a Mexican identification number that is required in order to work and reside legally in Mexico. CURP numbers for foreigners with residency in Mexico are different from those assigned to Mexican citizens, so it is important to make sure that you apply for the correct CURP. The application process is generally very straightforward, but it can be helpful to consult with a law firm specializing in Mexican immigration law to ensure that everything is completed correctly. There is no added cost to receive the CURP, so there is no reason not to apply for one as soon as possible after arriving in Mexico.

The CURP is required when you apply for a Mexican driver’s license, apply for employment, file taxes, apply for an RFC Registro Federal de Contribuyentes (a tax identification number), register a vehicle in Mexico, start a business, or open a bank account.  You will also require a CURP for Civil Registry, and any other government services, including free healthcare and a senior discount program called INAPAM. 

CURP numbers are given to Mexican citizens and foreigners with residency in Mexico. The CURP is requested the first time that any individual uses any of the above services.  It is important to keep your CURP updated and in accessible, as you will need to present it each time you access these services.  If your CURP has been lost or stolen, you can obtain a new one by going to your local INM office with copies of two valid IDs, one of which must have a photograph.   If you have questions regarding obtaining your CURP number or keeping it up to date, we suggest that you speak with an experienced immigration law firm.

The CURP is a unique identification number that allows the government to track an individual’s immigration status and employment history. In order to obtain a CURP Number, foreigners must first obtain a residency permit from the Mexican government.

Once they have obtained their residency permit, they can then apply for a CURP Number at their local immigration office. However, it is important to note that only the INM can issue a CURP Number to foreigners. Those who attempt to obtain a CURP Number without first obtaining a residency permit may be subject to fines or deportation.

In Los Cabos you may make a request at the Immigration office Monday through Friday from 9 till 10 am, or you may contact your immigration specialist for the CURP letter and instructions. Immigration will require the following documents: Original and a copy of your passport, your resident card, and the CURP request letter.

The card is quick and easy to apply for and receive, and because it is a photocopy of a card, you may wish to laminate it for protection. However, if you lose your original CURP Number, you will need to reapply for a new one.  For more information on CURP numbers for foreigners with residency in Mexico, contact with a confidence lawyer that specializes in Mexican immigration law.

Scroll to Top